Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Star Wars

Check out that title eh? Star Wars: The Old Republic or Swtor vs. Lotro (enough acronyms for ya?).

With my computer's motherboard packing a sad I've been relegated to using my wife's laptop to sate my gaming desires.

Begin rant.
I wanted to play Lotro (of course), so attempt to download it. Pando SUCKS SWEATY GOBLIN BALLS. It cannot download files properly. If there is ever an interruption in your internet connection or computer turned on'ness, have fun come installation time.

So had to move over to steam, download steam, make an account, download Lotro...phew finally got it.
Install time and now can't install something that is already on the @#$@#$ing computer. Microsoft Redistributable C++ 2005. 2005.....2005! What bloody epoch are you living in. So...try to find a fix. The only offical statement regarding this issue from 2-3 YEARS ago, is 'report as bug' 'complain to microsoft' and that's it. AWESOME. Needless to say, 4days later, it's still not working!

Dear Reader: If you ever encounter a company in whose customer support comes from it's customers...get the fuck out of there.

Turbine, you can't fix this after 5 years in the business, you need a slap in the head. You think you don't have competition, you want more people playing your game....THEN MAKE IT A PIECE OF CAKE TO FRAGGIN WELL INSTALL.

So I heard Swtor had gone F2P. So I tried downloading it to give it a go. The .exe file was small and very quick download. Ran it which opened up the game launcher and then proceeded to patch (i.e. patch and install the entire game). A few hours later, I'M PLAYING. Amazing. Turbine, in this department you royally suck.

So, what class, world (not sure, Asia RP), been trying a few classes up to lvl 5/10 to see which ones I like/can get into. Jedi's NO. Wayyy to goodie goodie. Sith...Noooo, way to tryhard.
Imperial Agent I might like (haven't tried it yet), tried Smuggler and find it a bit of fun (kinda burglar gameplay style methinks). Loaded up a trooper today and really like throwing grenades at people...so that might be the one for me.

On another note, since lotro is such a pain in the arse to download/install, I figured I'll push the envelope and install Linux when I get my comp. back and try installing it on THAT.

Happy Saturnalia and New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment